27th, 28th, 29th April, 2018
At Riverside Cottage, Bransbury, nr Barton Stacey
Drawing is a wonderful, engaging, cerebral affair; you think, you look, you investigate. The aim of this retreat is to engage further; to include your body and your senses in an holistic act of drawing.
Instead of a drawing appearing on the paper from a conjunction of thought and sight alone, you will engage with all your senses, with your breathing, and your body.
You will begin the day with yoga to relax, shed tension and enable you to open yourself to the possibility of drawing with other senses.
You will learn how drawing is enriched when you work from a calm place in mind and body. You will feel the rhythm of your breath, trust the intelligence of your body, learn to release tension and discover a freedom and potential for inventiveness.
This course is suitable for all artistic and yoga abilities.
- Accommodation provided at £495 sharing, or £595 single room
- Day time attendance only £350 for Friday afternoon, Saturday and Sunday
- All catering, all art materials, art and yoga tuition supplied
Plan for the Weekend
Friday 27th April
- Arrive on a Friday afternoon any time
after 3pm to a Cream Tea, with scones and delicious raspberry and lavender jam.
- 6pm drinks and drawing games to break the ice (nothing to do with the drinks)
- 8pm supper
Saturday 28th April
- 8-10am Breakfast, croissants, fresh fruit, granola, yoghurt and local jams, followed by a country walk, if desired.
- 30 Yoga – A 1 hour class – a very gentle flow to calm and release the energies within ready for a mind and soul drawing class using all your senses. You do as much yoga as you feel comfortable. Just come to the mat with an open mind and let the power of Yoga work its magic!
- Following the various yoga exercises you will be exploring drawing, mark making, textures and tone using all your senses. Lavender eye masks will stop you from peaking, and the smells from the Riverside Cottage garden will inspire you in new directions. The studio is overlooking the River Dever so there may be some outside interaction.
We will stop for a light buffet lunch and there will be various coffee breaks throughout the day. You will finish the drawing class at 4.00 in time for tea at 4.30. There will be drinks at 7.00pm, followed by supper at 8.00pm.
Sunday 29th April
8-10am Breakfast and walk
As with day one yoga will set the tone for the day of drawing.
You will have a model to draw using the imaginative, inventive marks and expressions developed in day 1.
There will be various sensory short drawings, and longer exercises so you will take away a number of drawings by the end of the weekend.
As with day 1, a light lunch will be at 1.30 with the drawing class resuming for a final session finishing at 4pm.
We look forward to hearing from you.